We are by no means doctors and our knowledge comes from experience. Here are our binder safety guidlines to live by:
- Don't wear a size too small! We will help suggest a size and are happy to exchange it, at no cost to you, if our suggestion doesn't work out. Wearing a size too small will not give you a flatter appearance, and can put you at risk of physical harm.
- Don't bind for more than 8-10 hours a day, OR more than your body is telling you to. You shouldn’t be binding 10 hours a day on a regular basis if possible. It's important to remember that this is a compression garment that IS stressful on the body, so while they are incredibly important for many of us, they should not be worn for extremely long periods with no breaks.
- Take days off every once and a while if you can! This will give your body time to relax
- Never sleep in your binder! Even if your body feels fine, you should not be binding for this long. You may feel more comfortable sleeping in an athletic compression shirt if you find binding to be a comforting feeling.
- Don't wear your binder if "something doesn't feel right". Our binders should not cause pain or breathing trouble!
- Stretch! Stretching is generally good but can also help relieve stress from binding.